Secretary to the Board of Grand Trustees
Statement of Purpose
This position is a paid statutory appointment in accordance with Section 9.9 of the Statutes of the Fraternal Order of Eagles. The position is appointed at the first meeting of the Board of Grand Trustees (BOGT) after the annual Grand Convention. This position works directly for the Chairman of the BOGT. The position documents decisions made by the BOGT concerning charter suspensions, revocations, consolidations and surrenders of lower-level units of the organization as well as other miscellaneous requests made by Grand Aerie/Auxiliary, State Aerie/Auxiliary, Local Aerie/Auxiliary or members. In consultation with the BOGT Chairman, this position requests submission of discussion items for meeting agendas from office staff and Grand Aerie officers. This position prepares agendas for the BOGT Chairman’s approval and assembles supporting documentation to support meetings. Immediately after meetings, this position prepares minutes for initial review by the Grand Aerie Legal Advisor and distributes them as directed by the BOGT Chairman. This position maintains a log of all BOGT policy determinations. The position provides the members of the BOGT and other attendees with notices of meeting times and places as determined by the BOGT Chairman. The position tracks action items assigned to staff members and advises the Action Assignee and Board Chairman of open and overdue items.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Coordinate Charter Requests (CR’s) from the GWP and Grand Secretary Offices to obtain BOGT approval.
- Coordinate Miscellaneous Requests (MR’s) from members and staff to obtain BOGT approval.
- Maintain electronic files of all CR and MR Board Orders.
- Maintain a list of all BOGT committee and/or board appointments.
- Maintain a list of all proposed and approved BOGT meetings, including dates, locations and primary purpose of meeting.
- Prepare meeting agendas for the Chairman’s approval and assemble documentation to support discussions.
- Prepare minutes of all meetings and distribute as directed by the Chairman.
- Track all assigned BOGT action items from initial assignment to final closure.
- Maintain a log of all BOGT Policies until integrated into Grand Aerie policies and procedures
- Keep the Grand Aerie Department Heads and Grand Tribunal Secretary aware of BOGT meetings and decisions.
- Prepare, for the Chairman’s review, the BOGT Grand Convention report highlighting the accomplishments of the year.
Education & Experience Requirements
- High School Diploma or GED required. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- Detailed and extensive knowledge of the Constitution, Bylaws, rules and regulations of the Fraternal Order of Eagles.
- At least two years’ experience with Microsoft Office suite, specifically MS Word and MS Excel.
- Ability to multitask on projects and assignments.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to effectively communicate in both written and verbal form.
The position requires travel, mainly by air, to BOGT meetings during the year at varying location throughout the US and Canada. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential job functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to ensure individuals with disabilities are able to perform these essential job functions. While performing job duties, employee sits 90% of the time. Is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance; stoop; kneel, crouch and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust and focus.
This position is a telecommuting position and works a flexible schedule. It is not located at the Grand Aerie headquarters but is supported by the Information Technology Department. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential job functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities are able to perform these essential job functions. While performing job duties, the employee is not exposed to weather conditions. The noise level in the positions home work environment is usually moderate to low.
This position requires a high degree of confidentiality concerning the discussions and decisions of the BOGT and other Grand Aerie officers and staff. The position will have access to sensitive business (salaries, personnel info, etc.) and operational (contracts, funds, etc.) information that may not be released to the public or the general membership without BOGT permission. The position is required to sign a confidentiality agreement.
Please send all Cover Letters and Resumes to email@example.com